It seems like it was forever ago that I spend a day in the Beaches and enjoyed some gluten-free lunch and baked goods at Tori’s Bakeshop, but the delicious treats and bright and friendly atmosphere still lingers on my mind. Tori’s Bakeshop recently celebrated their 1-year anniversary for their bakery in the beaches. The bakeshop at 2188 Queen Street East is the go-to destination for organic, natural, vegan baked, and gluten-free goods in the Beaches. It is the first eat-in vegan bakery and cafe in Toronto!
If Pinterest created a bakeshop, it would look like Tori’s:
I was invited to Tori’s for lunch to sample some of the gluten-free treats available on the menu. I usually avoid gluten-free alternatives to my favourite gluten-filled foods because they tend to taste terrible and I’d rather not tease my tastebuds with something that will just leave me wanting the real deal. My barometer for good gluten-free food: regular people eat it. And this is certainly the case at Tori’s! The gluten-free goodies came highly recommended by some of my best wheat-eating friends who can still remember what regular food tastes like.
Vegan BLT – made with fresh gluten-free bread, hickory smoked coconut, lettuce, and tomato
This sandwich came highly recommended by friends and Tori herself. The bread was some of the best gluten-free bread I’ve ever tasted and the hickory smoked coconut was delicious – even for this meat-eater! All of the gluten-free goods at Tori’s are prepared using separate bowls and mixers to avoid any cross contamination.
After enjoying a coffee and my sandwich I knew I had to take a treat home to enjoy later. Unfortunately, this gluten-free doughnut met it’s fate on the streetcar ride home.
Tori’s Bakeshop by the Numbers
- 1: custom tea blend, Tori’s Bakeshop’s Coconut Oo-la-oolong, by Majesteas
- 2: paint swatches considered before deciding on the perfect shade of green—”Bunker Hill”—for the door
- 3: generations of bakers in Tori Vaccher’s family
- 4: adorable baristas that serve coffee
- 4: methods that staff use to brew coffee
- 5: whisks hanging in the Bakeshop
- 5: unrefined sugar options for sweetening baked goods
- 5: scone flavours
- 5: gluten-free cupcake flavours
- 5: gluten-free flours in the gluten-free bread
- 16: tea flavours
- 19: seats inside the Bakeshop
- 45: average number of mason jars in the entire building at any given moment
- 64: amount of likes on the top Instagram shot: a gluten-free chocolate cheesecake
- 89: jars of ba”con” sold to date (Tori’s ships this item internationally!)
- 93: minutes it takes to bake Tori’s infamous cinnamon buns, from start to gooey finish
- 124: gingerbread kits assembled by children during the 2012 holiday season
- 168: number of coffee beans that go into each coffee made with the Clever Dripper
- 172: customers on the first day of business
- 4,371: farthest distance in kilometers a jar of ba”con” has travelled
2188 Queen St E