Happy Birthday Twitter! And thanks for changing my life!
My first Twitter account was for a non-profit organization I was volunteering with, which is pretty funny considering that I run the accounts of a bunch of different companies now. My own personal account is only 2.5 years old because I dedicated all of my time to that non-profit until I realized how valuable the tool was for my own personal branding as well. Twitter has changed my life, my job, and my spare time!
From an article on CNN, here are 7 people whose lives have been changed (for better or for worse) because of Twitter:
1. Gilbert Gottfried – a comedian who was fired due to jokes made in poor taste on Twitter
2. Kelly Oxford – a comedian who launched her career and sold her first screenplay due to Twitter
3. Justin Halpern – of “Sh*t My Dad Says” fame
4. Sohaib Athar – the guy who accidentally live tweeted the raid on Osama Bin Laden’s compound
5. Anthony Weiner – U.S. congressman whose phone was “hacked”
6. Paraskevi Papachristou – almost an Olympic athlete – until a racist tweet saw her banned from participating in the games
7. Ashton Kutcher – the first Twitter celebrity and first user to reach 1 million followers (take that, Bieber!)
BTW, ever wonder what the first tweet ever was? Founder Jack Dorsey tweeted: “just setting up my twttr.” on March 21, 2006.
How has Twitter changed your life?