Despite Google and Facebook’s ongoing feud to win social and search EVERYTHING, it turns out there is an easy way to sync your Facebook Events with your Google Calendar with only a few clicks of the mouse.
In the spirit of sharing I will show you how to avoid copying and pasting and lots more typing in order to include your Facebook Events with your Google social Calendar. This is also an effective way to keep track of events if you don’t log in to Facebook often and don’t want to miss important invites.
HOW TO SYNC YOUR CALENDARS:
1. In Facebook, click on your “Events” tab on the left
2. Click “Export” at the bottom of the page
3. Copy the URL that pops up – Remember, don’t share your personal URL unless you want someone to have access to your Calendar of Events
4. In Google Calendar, look on the sidebar for “Other Calendars” and under that, click on “Add by URL”
5. Paste the URL from Facebook here
6. Welcome to social integration! Now everytime you receive an invite Google Calendar will update to include it in your Calendar
A few extra tips:
I have found that this indiscriminately adds events to your Google Calendar no matter what you have RSVP’d. To make sure an event does not show up on your Calendar, you can click “Not Attending” and then Remove it from your events. That should keep your Calendar updated with only the events you have confirmed you plan to attend or may be attending.
Do you have any other tips to help integrate social calendars?